Friday, May 17, 2013

Review: Pure by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Summary: 

There is need. And then there is Fate... Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's "other half" is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her. When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon... and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude... or killing her. When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.

Genre: YA mythology + romance + action

My rating for Pure (Covenant, #2):

Pure was an amazing sequel to the first book in the Covenant series, Half-Blood! Everything from the first book was raised a bar higher: the romance, the action, the emotions, the heart ache.

I really did NOT like Seth in Half-Blood. And I guess for a good part of Pure too. But then I did :) I also loved every punch Alex gave Seth. I felt very in-tune with Alex every time she wanted to punch him...or give him one of those embarrassingly cheesy smiles. Basically every scene they shared had me smiling because they fought and teased incessantly!


Seth threw me a mischievous grin. “I can’t have Marcus just walking in on us. What if I want to snuggle on these cold New York nights?”
My frown increased. “We don’t snuggle.” 

He dropped his arm over my shoulder, and the scent of mint and something wild tickled my nose. “How about we cuddle?” 

“We don’t do that either.” 

“But you’re my cuddle bunny. My little Apollyon cuddle—” 

I punched him in the side. 

color: #181818; line-height: 17.27272605895996px;">I didn't forget Aiden though. I love him. Although Aiden wasn't as prominent in this book, the scenes he was in...wow, just wow. *Clutches heart* 

“Ever since I’ve met you, I’ve wanted to break every rule. You’ll become the center of someone’s world one day. And he’ll be the luckiest son of a bitch on this earth.” 

The battles Alex and Aiden have between them and what their society dictates kept poking my heart until it was sore and sad. I hope their society changes their weird rules about who can be with who  because I really cannot wait until Alex and Aiden can be together. I know I said I like Seth, but I can't help wanting Aiden in the picture. Pure made me like him even more and I think I'm rooting for him in the end.

The danger increased in this novel too. More death (Waaah!!) and more threats to Alex's life. The threats brought out the protective instincts of Seth and Aiden, and therefore, the jealous sides of them and THAT was super fun to see (hehe!). There was one part that led to a particularly very interesting event. Without going into further details, I'm just going to share one of the funny results from it:

“You told me you wanted to marry Seth's bed, and then you told me you'd marry me if asked. After that, you started to-"

"Enough," I groaned, wanting to crawl under the blankets.

Apart from the Covenant series, Jennifer L. Armentrout has another series called Lux, a couple stand-alone novels, and she recently began writing new adult novels under the name J. Lynn. Find out more about Armentrout and her books on her websiteFacebookTwitter, and Goodreads

Here are my reviews for the books of hers I've read so far:

Add on Goodreads
Buy on Amazon and B&N

No comments:

Post a Comment