Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Novella Review: Crossing the Line by Katie McGarry

Official Synopsis:

Katie McGarry captivated readers with her “riveting, emotional”* Young Adult debut, Pushing the Limits. In this gripping novella, she tells the story of Lila and Lincoln, who discover that sometimes it’s worth crossing the line for love…

Lila McCormick, Echo's best friend from Pushing the Limits, first met Lincoln Turner when tragedy struck both their lives. But she never expected their surprise encounter would lead to two years of exchanging letters—or that she’d fall for the boy she’s only seen once. Their relationship is a secret, but Lila feels closer to Lincoln than anyone else. Until she finds out that he lied to her about the one thing she depended on him for the most.

Hurting Lila is the last thing Lincoln wanted. For two years, her letters have been the only thing getting him through the day. Admitting his feelings would cross a line he’s never dared breach before. But Lincoln will do whatever it takes to fix his mistakes, earn Lila’s forgiveness—and finally win a chance to be with the girl he loves.



Pages: 67
Published by: Harlequin TEEN (April 1, 2013)
Genre: YA romance

My rating for Crossing the Line (Pushing the Limits, #1.5):

Note: Crossing the Line should be read after Pushing the Limits.

This novella shows another side of Lila that we don't really get to see in Pushing the Limits. In Pushing the Limits, we don't get to see her fears and dreams; what her real relationship with Stephen is like and we have no clue that the person she is closest to, is someone she's actually only ever met once. All of these things are shown in this novella and then, of course, we are also introduced to Lincoln. 

Something I love about Katie McGarry is that her characters don't have "normal" lives. Drugs, pregnancies, abuse, psychological problems, and more are present in the lives of her characters and then she shows how they deal with/balance those issues with other aspects of life. Katie McGarry does this for Lincoln and we get to see how what he's had to deal with effects his relationship with Lila and Lila's life.

Really my only complaint is that it was so short! I think Lila and Lincoln deserve their own novel. It didn't take me long to finish this novella and some may not think something so short isn't worth the price, but I didn't feel entirely shorthanded because the story was full of emotion and life and love. Again, I could see how some would not like that aspect either because since it was so short, we were kind of forced to feel the emotions rather quickly; we didn't get to grow used to them. BUT I loved it nonetheless. :)

I loved getting to read some of the letters Lila and Lincoln sent each other over the past two years. They filled my heart with warmth and longing for a relationship that's so personal and dependent as the one they share. 
"I close my eyes and hug my body to his. Two years of letters, two years of redefining myself and two years of falling for my best friend. As I cuddle into Lincoln, I know that I would relive it all in order to experience this moment again."
I loved learning more about Lila and being introduced to Lincoln, as well as catching another glimpse of Echo! I love Echo :) Lila and Lincoln's story is such a sweet one.

"You are like a sunrise in my life." - Lila

~

My review for Katie McGarry's first novel, Pushing the Limits, is right HERE if you'd like to check it out. I HIGHLY recommend reading it--it's magnificent! The SEQUEL to Pushing the Limits called Dare You To, came out May 28, 2013, which follows Noah's friend Beth, and a third novel, Crash into You, comes out November 26, 2013 and follow's Noah's friend Isaiah. Beth and Isaiah were introduced in Pushing the Limits and like I implied, Katie McGarry's characters always have a story to tell.

Show Katie McGarry some love on and her websiteFacebook, and Goodreads accounts!


Add on Goodreads.
Buy on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

No comments:

Post a Comment