Monday, July 8, 2013

Review: Frostbite by Richelle Mead

Official Synopsis 

Rose loves Dimitri, Dimitri might love Tasha, and Mason would die to be with Rose... 

It’s winter break at St. Vladimir’s, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy’s crawling with Guardians—including Rose’s hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if hand-to-hand combat with her mom wasn’t bad enough, Rose’s tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason’s got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa’s head while she’s making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy’s not taking any risks... This year, St. Vlad’s annual holiday ski trip is mandatory. 

But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price...



Pages: 327

Published by: Razorbill (April 10, 2008)
Genre: YA paranormal + romance

My rating for Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2):

I really enjoyed this just as much as I did the first time around. Loved the characters, the conflicts, the action, the romance. Rose develops more in this book, stronger mentally and physically. You can see her slowly mature and act more like a guardian would. I love the side characters and the portrayal of friendship and how they're just as important to the series as the main characters. I really liked being introduced to Adrian again. That was surely interesting. The action/fighting was wonderful. Everything that I look for in a good book was there, but just like last time, I'd give it a 4 star, and I realize now the main reason why.



I think it could have used more romance. 

Not for the sake of it simply making this book more romantic instead of the good balance of action, friendship, and love that it is, but for the sake of the romantic development that IS present throughout the series. Rose and Dimitri's relationship begins as a mentor and student relationship in Vampire Academy. As they train together, they're relationship of respect and formality takes a turn because Rose and Dimitri can understand each other on a deeper level. They each have that deep need to protect who they care for, to perform their duty and responsibilities. They connect to each other in a way that no one else has ever been able to connect to each other and that's how their love begins to take form.

But although I can feel this connection between them, there really aren't THAT many scenes that they share together. The ones they do share, they're phenomenal in serving their purpose. They show how Rose and Dimitri are able to understand each other, how they just get each other. I don't think there were enough though because at the end of Frostbite, when  they finally make their choice (whether they are going to ignore their feelings for each other) I almost felt like it was a bit unrealistic. I knew that enough time had past and they had spent enough time with each other to feel how they did for each other, but I wish I had been able to see more of it for myself. The first two books are pretty short anyway and since the romance isn't the main focus, I just felt like their wasn't quite enough there...

Like I said, I don't really even know how to describe it. I LOVE Rose and Dimitri to DEATH. I think they bring out the best in each other. I think what they have is beautiful, strong and vulnerable at the same time. They will forever be one of my favorite fictional ships. I just know that as I read this book for a second time, there was something missing there and I think the story really could have benefited from more of it.

Recommended to readers who like: strong female lead character, paranormal, vampires, magic, good mix of action and romance.

Sexual content: mild-medium (nothing major, but some sexual references here and there. You know, high school stuff.)

No comments:

Post a Comment