Wednesday, January 6, 2016

2015 Year In Review

2015 Year In Review

Ohtay! So. I never actually filled this out for 2015 when it was publicly appropriate to do so. When I finished the semester that December, I was so severely deprived of all reading-for-pleasure that I basically binged for the last week and a half before 2015 ended. I needed to catch up on my Goodreads reading goal, ya know? So I'm doing this late, but I don't care because I'm feeling nostalgic and want some reflection on 2015.

2015 was mostly a really great year for me. January-August was overall pretty decent with some amazing spikes in excitement, adventure, and achievement. September-December in one respect wasn't as bad as life could be, but at the same time, I would describe that semester and the overwhelming amount of responsibilities a time of stress and misery. I don't like to wish away time (we only have so much allotted to us on this earth!) but I really couldn't wait for that semester to be over. So let's take a look at my year more in depth:

1. What did you do in 2015 that you have never done before?
I studied abroad in Italy! In Italy I visited Rome, Isle of Capri, and Venice. While in Italy I ate food I've never tried before (lamb brain, anyone?), ate gelato every freaking day, tasted new wines and alcoholic drinks (moscato is my drinking buddy, but I had to try to chocolate shot!), and spent time with a dozen incredibly fun people! It was an experience I'll always have fond memories of. I got two new jobs on campus. I scratched the last draft of the story I was writing (not new), started over, wrote further than I previously reached in my story, and in doing so I wrote more in a few weeks than I ever have! The story still isn't finished, but I'm practicing not beating myself up for that and just being happy I've pushed myself to where the story is right now. :) I also started a social experiment. 

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Yes (for the most part), and yes.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! My cousin (whom I visited in June 2014) gave birth to her twins during her second pregnancy!

4. Did anyone close to you die? 
No, thankfully.

5. Where did you travel?
Italy: Rome, Isle of Capri, Venice. Boston, MA (we were delayed a day on our way to Italy), and Amsterdam, Netherlands (does the airport count? I have it stamped in my passport...)

6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
I would like to have (and have been working on) more peace of mind, a simpler life, and the ability to channel out the stress I often (unknowingly) put on myself. Happiness.

7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
May 27, 2015 - The day I said goodbye to my Italian companions <3

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I worked really hard to achieve 4.0s in my second and third semesters in college.

9. What was your biggest failure? 
This is always a hard question for me. I guess I gained back most of the weight I had lost the previously. That was disappointing.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
My acne came back in the fall. Annoying buggers. I did have one cold illness in the fall that kicked me back like twenty steps, but I managed.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My trip to Capri? My $5 head scarf from Italy? More books? I don't buy entertainment often, but when I do it's all good.

12. Where did most of your money go?
Same as last year: college, travels, and books.

13. What did you get really excited about?
Italy! Landing two awesome and intimidating jobs! Moving in with my three best friends!

14. What song will always remind you of 2015?
See You Again by Charlie Puth featuring Wiz Khalifa

15. Compared to this time last year, are you...
Happier or sadder? Less happy.
Thinner or fatter? I gained back some weight I had lost.
Richer or poorer? Richer! I gained back the money I had spent last year and then added some!

16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Writing. I want to write books but I get so unbelievably discouraged at the mere thought of trying. It's pitiful really. My hobbies such as knitting and sketching.

17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
It didn't take up too much of my time because I've been significantly better at it but not mindlessly browsing the web. I've wheedled out at least 85% of the mindless scrolling through social media I used to do out of boredom, but more recently picked up the habit again.

18. How did you spend Christmas?
I visited my grandma at her nursing home. Read. Had dinner with my family. Read some more. :)

19. What was your favorite TV program?
Parenthood, which has been the case for the past SIX YEARS. I'm so sad I won't be able to say this same answer next year because Parenthood is ending this coming February waaaaah!

20. What were your favorite books of the year?
The Kite Runner, This Star Won't Go Out, Breaking the Rules, Maybe Someday, Cruel Beauty, Where She Went, Just One Day, and MORE.

21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Daughter - discovered this year; loving!
Greg Laswell - discovered this year; loving!
Mat Kearney - discovered in 2013; love his pandora station
Ben Rector - discovered in 2013; love his pandora station
Bon Iver - discovered a few years back; never gets old; he is my go-to!
James Vincent McMorrow - discovered in 2012; new gets old; he is another go-to!

22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I made a post on m top 14 here!

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 18 and didn't do anything remotely 18-celebration-like! I'm a big family person so my parents surprised me by taking me to an awesome Italian (my favorite!) restaurant I had never been to and met up with my aunt and uncle. :)

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I could have read more in September through November. My reading went AWOL during my first semester. And although I wouldn't replace the memories I made with reading, I wish I could have added more hours into the year to make up for my loss of reading (I only read 3 books for my own enjoyment the entire first semester!)

26. What kept you sane?
Music, my friends, and my family.

27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.
#1 - It's okay to not have your shit together on every aspect of life. You'll get there.
#2 - The world is at your fingertips; you can do anything you want to do as long as you make it happen <Basically my year motto.
#3 - Take chances! You're only guaranteed today! <Also my year motto.

28. What regrets/disappointments do you have about 2014? 
Wasting too much time on little, mind-numbing activities (like surfing the internet) and procrastinating when I could have been writing or working on my "dreams" instead of just drowning in escapism. I also wish I had followed through with more of my plans to meet up with people when I said I wanted to get together with them. I know life gets really busy, but I don't want to keep making empty promises. I feel phony when I do that and I don't mean to.

29. Words or sayings that remind you of 2014:
"Proud of you" "bae" "Ohmigawwwd" "I love your more" "That's debatable" "Bye Felicia!" ^^Things me and my friends say jokingly LOL.

30. Did you have any new favorite foods or drinks?
I started enjoying shrimp more this year. I also really enjoyed the peach pie I had for the first time. I love peaches, why haven't I had them in pie form before?

31. Did you have any new favorite health/hair products?
Not that I can think of.

32. Did you have any new obsessions?
I can't think of any right now, but I know I did. I'm a fangirl for Pete's sake. ;)

33. Did anyone new walk into your life?
Lydie. Sierrey. Anna. Dozens upon DOZENS of friends from my first semester.

34. What was your personal style? In clothes, accessories, room decorations, etc
Casual with flare here and there. Jeans, tank tops, flowy tops and leggings, big sweatshirts, sneakers. Minimal accessories. I always wear hair ties on my wrist. I either wear my hair natural (curly), a high bun, or at night I will braid it before bed. As far as decorations, I love neutrals and blues. I themed my dorm room around those colors and will do the same next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment