Wednesday, January 21, 2015

2014 Year In Review

2014 was SUCH A GREAT YEAR. I loved it wholeheartedly, even during all the really tough parts, which this survey doesn't focus too much on so I tacked on some questions that would allow me to express though parts too.

1. What did you do in 2014 that you have never done before?
SO MANY THINGS. Went to not only my first author events but FOUR author events! Graduated. Flew on an airplane (SIX actually) alone. Went to California; Massachusetts, Smokey Mountains. Saw the Pacific Ocean; wild black bears, seals. Successfully navigated a subway station (not without help. That's for next time). Ate authentic Italian, Mexican, Latin, Saudi, and Indian food; homemade ice cream; peace pie. Moved out. Started college. (Insert things that I CAN'T TELL THE WORLD. Teehee!) Went ziplining; white water rafting. I actually started a journal of "firsts" to document my new experiences and these are just the highlights!

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Excitedly YES and for sure!

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! My cousin (whom I visited earlier in the year while she was still pregnant) gave birth to her first child! Welcome to the world, Samantha!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Sadly, my grandma died on New Year's Eve. 3:03 AM.

5. Where did you travel?
Poway/San Diego, California; Sterling/Boston, Massachusetts; Kentucky, Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, Tennessee, and Asheville, North Carolina!

6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
Less self-doubt, although that's kind of stupid because I know this is prime time to doubt and question everything! So maybe just less self-criticism.

7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 2: Graduation day.
August 21: Move in date.
December 31: Grandma's passing.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Graduating with 4.0 GPA, in top 10 of my class, going to away to college on full tuition scholarship, got to see my grandma more/grow closer to her before she past away, actually being able to lose weight and be healthier when I set my mind to it.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Can't say I necessarily had a huge failure. I hit a lot of goals I had been striving for for years now.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
For the first time in a while, no. Since I was 8, I've had injuries and mystery diagnoses that have been the bane of my existence, and in the first time in a while, my issues, for the most part, faded away.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Did I have to buy it? Because the best things I got this year were gifted to me. A Temperpedic mattress pad (glorious!), a huge ass cuddle blanket (so soft!), and BOOKS.

12. Where did most of your money go?
COLLEGE. The fees are RIDIKULLUS. To entertainment such as traveling, movies, books, etc. It was my one last hoo-rah before I have to get serious about life! ;) Oh who am I kidding. I hope my entire life is one big hoo-rah!

13. What did you get really excited about?
Graduating (AMEN!), traveling (AHHHH!!!!), author events, Colleen Hoover, making new friends, starting college, being alive!

14. What song will always remind you of 2014?
All About That Bass by Meghan Trainor. Unfortunately. My best friends LOVED this song and jammed out to in whenever it came on the radio. Which was every 20 minutes.
Gold by James Vincent McMorrow - And the music video is STUNNING. All the feels!!
Let It Go by Everyone Who Ever Sang This Song ;)
Stay With Me - Sam Smith
Boom Clap - Charli XX
What You Wanted - OneRepublic

15. Compared to this time last year, are you...
Happier or sadder? Happier. Less weight on my shoulders. Last year, I was getting ready to go back to school and continue my senior project and felt pressured to know what I wanted out of life and THE STRESS. That's all gone now.
Thinner or fatter? About the same. I gained more weight, but I lost 10 pounds in the last 8 weeks so woot woot!
Richer or poorer? Poorer. I quit the job I hated and then made a big dent in my savings, but I don't think I regret any of it. Especially the job part.

16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Writing. I want to write books but I get so unbelievably discouraged at the mere thought of trying. It's pitiful really. My hobbies such as knitting and sketching.

17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
It didn't take up too much of my time because I've been significantly better at it but not mindlessly browsing the web. I've wheedled out at least 85% of the mindless scrolling through social media I used to do out of boredom, but more recently picked up the habit again.

18. How did you spend Christmas?
I visited my grandma at her nursing home. Read. Had dinner with my family. Read some more. :)

19. What was your favorite TV program?
Parenthood, which has been the case for the past SIX YEARS. I'm so sad I won't be able to say this same answer next year because Parenthood is ending this coming February waaaaah!

20. What were your favorite books of the year?
The Kite Runner, This Star Won't Go Out, Breaking the Rules, Maybe Someday, Cruel Beauty, Where She Went, Just One Day, and MORE.

21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Daughter - discovered this year; loving!
Greg Laswell - discovered this year; loving!
Mat Kearney - discovered in 2013; love his pandora station
Ben Rector - discovered in 2013; love his pandora station
Bon Iver - discovered a few years back; never gets old; he is my go-to!
James Vincent McMorrow - discovered in 2012; new gets old; he is another go-to!

22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I made a post on m top 14 here!

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 18 and didn't do anything remotely 18-celebration-like! I'm a big family person so my parents surprised me by taking me to an awesome Italian (my favorite!) restaurant I had never been to and met up with my aunt and uncle. :)

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I could have read more in September through November. My reading went AWOL during my first semester. And although I wouldn't replace the memories I made with reading, I wish I could have added more hours into the year to make up for my loss of reading (I only read 3 books for my own enjoyment the entire first semester!)

26. What kept you sane?
Music, my friends, and my family.

27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.
#1 - It's okay to not have your shit together on every aspect of life. You'll get there.
#2 - The world is at your fingertips; you can do anything you want to do as long as you make it happen <Basically my year motto.
#3 - Take chances! You're only guaranteed today! <Also my year motto.

28. What regrets/disappointments do you have about 2014?
Wasting too much time on little, mind-numbing activities (like surfing the internet) and procrastinating when I could have been writing or working on my "dreams" instead of just drowning in escapism. I also wish I had followed through with more of my plans to meet up with people when I said I wanted to get together with them. I know life gets really busy, but I don't want to keep making empty promises. I feel phony when I do that and I don't mean to.

29. Words or sayings that remind you of 2014:
"Proud of you" "bae" "Ohmigawwwd" "I love your more" "That's debatable" "Bye Felicia!" ^^Things me and my friends say jokingly LOL.

30. Did you have any new favorite foods or drinks?
I started enjoying shrimp more this year. I also really enjoyed the peach pie I had for the first time. I love peaches, why haven't I had them in pie form before?

31. Did you have any new favorite health/hair products?
Not that I can think of.

32. Did you have any new obsessions?
I can't think of any right now, but I know I did. I'm a fangirl for Pete's sake. ;)

33. Did anyone new walk into your life?
Lydie. Sierrey. Anna. Dozens upon DOZENS of friends from my first semester.

34. What was your personal style? In clothes, accessories, room decorations, etc
Casual with flare here and there. Jeans, tank tops, flowy tops and leggings, big sweatshirts, sneakers. Minimal accessories. I always wear hair ties on my wrist. I either wear my hair natural (curly), a high bun, or at night I will braid it before bed. As far as decorations, I love neutrals and blues. I themed my dorm room around those colors and will do the same next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment