Monday, June 24, 2013

Review: Deity by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Official Synopsis:

"History is on repeat, and things didn't go so well the last time. "

Alexandria isn't sure she's going to make it to her eighteenth birthday--to her Awakening. A long-forgotten, fanatical order is out to kill her, and if the Council ever discovers what she did in the Catskills, she's a goner... and so is Aiden. 

If that's not freaky enough, whenever Alex and Seth spend time "training"--which really is just Seth's code word for some up-close and personal one-on-one time--she ends up with another mark of the Apollyon, which brings her one step closer to Awakening ahead of schedule. Awesome. 

But as her birthday draws near, her entire world shatters with a startling revelation and she's caught between love and Fate. One will do anything to protect her. One has been lying to her since the beginning. Once the gods have revealed themselves, unleashing their wrath, lives will be irrevocably changed... and destroyed. 

Those left standing will discover if love is truly greater than Fate...



Pages: 330
Published by: Spencer Hill Press (November 6, 2012)
Genre: YA paranormal mythology + romance

My rating for Deity (Covenant, #3):
All I have to say are two words:

Team Aiden!!!!!

Yes, that sums up my thoughts quite nicely.

If you've read my other reviews for this series, then you know what I think about this series and all my past opinions remain the same for Deity: the mythology is sweet, the action is present, the characters are wonderful and intriguing, but also funny. The pacing of the plot, the romance, the evil, the action was all perfect and it kept me wanting more. Those elements have stayed the same throughout the series so here's what's different about the characters and story.

Aiden and Seth took some big leaps to change in this novel. The closer Alex got to her eighteenth birthday, the more Seth's behavior changed. Seth really shocked me in Deity because I was not expecting him to be the way he ended up. I was really liking Seth in Pure, but he really took a toll for the worse in this one. He was a bit of a plot twist for sure. In contrast, the choices my dear Aiden made in this one made me leap for joy, thank the heavens, sing Hallelujah, pumped my fist in the air, do a victory dance...you get the picture. I LOVE Aiden! 

“That simple act stole my breath, my heart. But even as he pulled away, I realized that he couldn't steal something he already had.” 
Alex got herself in the same amount of trouble she always did, but this was the last component of the series before the big BOOM! More questions are formed in this book and it was kind of like "the suspense" of the series. As everyone knows just from the title of the fourth book, Apollyon, Alex was now the Apollyon and that's when the major stuff begins. Deity was like the brewing and bubbling of the stew, all the last things that had to happen before Alex became the Apollyon happened here. It ended so climactically--I cannot wait for Apollyon!

Recommended to readers who like: YA, greek mythology, romance, love triangles, suspense.

Sexual content: medium (love scene, but very very mild on the description)
~
Links to my reviews for other Jennifer L. Armentrout books:

No comments:

Post a Comment