Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Review | Blood Will Tell by Samantha Young

About the book:

What would you do if you were born to be a predator? Would you fight your natural instincts or give in to your nature? 

Eden is a soul eater closing in on her awakening. Her family has convinced her that soon she will have to take a life in order to save her own. It’s a decision Eden doesn’t want to deal with even as her hunger for souls grows stronger every day.

To complicate her impossible position, new guy in school Noah Valois’ determination to befriend her puts Eden in touch with a humanity she’s never known. Addicted to his company, his friendship and affection, she becomes more and more terrified that giving into her hunger will mean losing him forever…

… But when she discovers that Noah is not what he seems, his betrayal forces her to face two choices. One will offer her revenge and the destruction of a boy she loved. The other may offer her a life of eternal redemption…



Release date: June 29, 2011 
Publisher: CreateSpace 
Pages: 273 
Genre: YA paranormal

My rating for Blood Will Tell (Warriors of Ankh, #1):
I held off reviewing this book because I wasn't thrilled about the novel. Now that I'm trying to write it's review, I can hardly remember how this book even ended, even though it's only been a week since I finished it. 

I wanted to like this story, the romance, but I couldn't. I know I had no qualms with Twilight and how Edward a 90-something year old vampire fell in love with a human; however, I did with this romance. The guy (I can't even remember the characters' names, y'all) was a seventy-year-old who hadn't aged a day past eighteen, who had had the sexual experiences of a seventy year old, and who currently was falling in love with a teenager. Ew!! Granted, when I read Twilight I was younger, but Edward hadn't had sex with a whole slew of women before meeting Bella. Bella and Edward were each other's firsts. This was clearly not the case with Blood Will Tell and it was in the back of my mind during the entire read.

The plot is coming back to me now. Okay, so I actually really liked the creep factor of this book. It was quite different than other books. You don't often read books where the main character and her family are the "bad guys". Seeing this perspective was interesting and I liked to see this type of inner struggle within the M.C. I did wonder why the heroine rejected her upbringing so much because wouldn't someone who grew up in an evil family think that what they were doing was okay? My doubts were cleared up later. The ending really through me for a loop and intrigued me, but not enough for me to read the sequel.

For the most part, the mood and subject of the book was intriguing, but the romance really turned me off and kept me from connecting with the book. If you think you can overlook the age and sexual experience differences, I'd say give this a try because I think you'll still really enjoy the paranormal aspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment