Friday, January 24, 2014

Review: Finding Cinderella by Colleen Hoover

About the novella:

This novella is a companion novel to the Hopeless series but can be read as a standalone. 

A chance encounter in the dark leads eighteen-year-old Daniel and the girl who stumbles across him to profess their love for each other. But this love comes with conditions: they agree it will only last one hour and it will only be make-believe.

When their hour is up and the girl rushes off like Cinderella, Daniel tries to convince himself that what happened between them only seemed perfect because they were pretending it was perfect. Moments like that with girls like her don’t happen outside of fairytales.

One year and one bad relationship later, his disbelief in insta-love is stripped away the day he meets Six: a girl with a strange name and an even stranger personality. Daniel soon realizes the way he pretended to feel about Cinderella and the way he really feels about Six may not be so different after all. Especially when the two loves of his life end up being one in the same.

Unfortunately for Daniel, finding Cinderella doesn’t guarantee their happily ever after…it only further threatens it.



Pages: 105
Published by: Atria Books (October 14, 2013)
Genre: NA contemporary romance

My rating for Finding Cinderella (Hopeless, #2.5)
Warning: This book contains language and sexual content.

I think it might be accurate to say this is my favorite novella I've ever read. Most novellas are wonderful additions to a series, but this one stands out because it can stand entirely on its own two feet... covers... metaphorical covers--whatever--and it was a wonderful story at that!

I'd like to warn that these two high school characters are promiscuous. It is what some would call an "insta-love" but the humor and realistic and unique personalities are displayed in the hero and heroine to offset the wariness an insta-love story brings. Of course, this is my opinion, but I am also a reader who isn't fond of insta-love stories and rather quickly overlooked the insta-love and thought the connection between the main characters worked because of everything else in the story.

Daniel, whose perspective you read from, is a silly guy. So silly that I giggled my way through this novella. He makes up names for everyone and acts like a total goofball.
"Go away."

"No. We're having a moment. You're my best friend, Holder. For real. You're my best friend and I love you. I'm not ashamed to admit that I love a guy. I love, Holder. Daniel Wesley loves Dean Holder. Always and forever."

"Daniel, go make out with your girlfriend."

"Not until you tell me you love me, too."

"I f***ing love you, now GO AWAY!"
"I love you more."
But he's also lovable, somewhat mature (that's questionable), and he cherishes small things. 
"Don't open your eyes. Give me ten more seconds to stare, because you look absolutely beautiful right now."
As for the romance, it was really refreshing. All that silliness and playfulness of Daniel and Six made the romance so fun. I knew there was going to be a plot twist (there always is with Colleen Hoover!) so I was trying to guess it. The funny thing is, I guessed right, but when it was revealed, I still gasped. Lol.

I didn't read this Daniel as the same Daniel from Losing Hope but that was a-okay with me. I love this Daniel and his silliness. I loved seeing Daniel and Six break down their walls and I am so grateful and honored that Colleen Hoover wrote Daniel & Six's story for her fans! Thanks CoHo!
***
Please help me get my #FindingCinderella tweet on the back cover of the coming soon paperback by retweeting and favoriting THIS tweet! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment